What do understand by a PST file? A PST file means a personal storage folder that contains a backup of Outlook file that can be accessed offline. These files can either be stored in the local system or handy devices like hard disks, pen drive, etc. Here the user feels the need to split oversized PST file into a smaller file because backup files can contain 1000 of pages. It is easier to find a particular page if a PST file consists of fewer pages.
Reasons to split PST file:
- It is time-consuming to look for a particular page in 1000 pages.
- People choose to read files with fewer pages more enthusiastically.
Manual Methods to Split Oversized PST file of Outlook:
Method 1. Reduce Size of PST file Using Archive attribute
You can use Archive attribute that is available in Outlook portal to split large PST file into smaller parts. Follow the below- mentioned steps to do the same:
- Download and Install Microsoft Outlook, go to the File tab Click Info and then Tools to choose Clean Up Old Items.
- Select a Folder to archive further, specify the date in Archive folder that is older than the box itself and click
- Browse to save archive folder at a user-defined location.
- Click OK to exit the process.
Method 2. Use Import/Export Option to Handle Large Size PST File
- In the File menu, go to Account Settings.
- In the Account settings window, click Add Under the Data Files option to Enter file name and type as Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Click OK to continue New PST file is created, you can easily view new PST under Data Files again and then click on the File tab, select Open & Export and then choose Import/Export option.
- In the Import/Export window, select Export to a file option and then click Next. Now, select Outlook PST in Export to a file window.
- Select the required folder to export and then check the option Include Subfolders.
- Click browse to select the location where you wish to save the file.
- In the Options tab, click on Do not export duplicates items and click the Finish button.
If you face any Outlook error like “OST has Reached Maximum Size in Outlook“, don’t panic, it will be easily solved quickly.
Method 3. Reduce Outlook Mailbox Size Using Move To Folder Option:
- In the file tab, click on the Account Settings.
- Click on the Data Files tab and then click Add button to create a new PST file.
- Go to the Home screen, open the default Outlook PST and select the items which you wish to move to a new PST file you created.
- Next, click on the Move button at the top and select Copy to Folder option.
- Next, choose the PST files and copy-paste them to the folder option.
- Also, you can delete the copied items from the default Outlook PST folder to decrease the size of the Outlook inbox.
This is how you Split Large Outlook PST File into a Smaller File.
Limitations of Manual Ways For Reducing PST File Size
The manual methods are pre-measure an individual can take before consulting technical advice. Some limitations of the profound methods are –
- The process is very lengthy and time-consuming. It will only prove to be efficient if handled by someone with technical experience
- Does not promise full recovery. Also, have a higher risk of data loss.
- Must be technically experience or work under technical expertise to make the solution work.
- Promises no data integrity and stabilization.
An Automated Approach to Split PST File into Multiple Files:
If the user doesn’t find the above manual method useful then he/she should go for a professional approach instead. One such approach is PST Splitter available in the market.
- Safe and faster conversion into smaller PST files.
- Allows applying encryption to a new PST file.
- Divide Outlook PST file by date, range and no. of pages. Also, splits on the basis of the email address.
- Supports Outlook PST (ANSI and UNICODE PST)
- Divide Outlook PST inbox including contacts, emails, calendars, and tasks.
- Interactive user interface for better understanding.
- Wide compatibility with Outlook versions 2002, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, etc.
We have seen multiple options to Split oversized PST File into a Smaller Files. It is recommended for the user to never fall for manual approach as they are not promising in any way, it all depends on the way you handle it technically. On the other hand, Automated approaches are a bit more professional and smart way to deal with technical issues. I hope you find this blog helpful.