Looking for a way to convert Maildir to PST? We have the right solution for you. But, before you need to understand what Maildir and PST files are. The Maildir file format is a common way to store email messages where each message is stored with a separate filename and each folder represents a file system directory. The personal file system handles the locking of files after messages are added, deleted, and moved.
On the other hand, a Personal Storage Table (PST) is an open file format that is used to store duplicates of messages, calendar, events, etc. items that are supported by only Microsoft services. Microsoft services include Microsoft Exchange Software, Microsoft Outlook, and Windows Messaging. If a user wants to import PST to Thunderbird then it can be possible by converting their Maildir files to PST then PST to Thunderbird.
Let’s take a look at reasons to convert a Maildir file into another file format.
Reasons to Convert Maildir to Outlook
- Maildir is an email format, based on the internet server.
- User does not have access to the mailbox directory.
- The user must have an established network connection, to access the Maildir file every time.
- Maildir files cannot be accessed on the local device.
- The unanalyzed data of a Maildir file cannot be accessed on a personal computer.
Manual Methods to Convert a Maildir file:
Step 1: Extract Maildir Files from Server
Users need to access Maildir files from the net server and then users should create a backup in local drive. Apply the below-mentioned steps to save Maildir files on the personal machine:
- First, establish a secure connection to any website server.
- Click on Mailbox items and browse the files that you wish to convert.
- Now, you can see all the files of the Maildir folder i.e. draft, sent, trash, primary, cur, and Tmp.
- Next, you need to create a Maildir folder backup including all subfolders.
Step 2: Convert Maildir to PST
You need to follow below-mentioned steps to Import Maildir Files to Outlook PST:
- At first, login to MS Outlook and hit on the ‘File’ tab.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the Open & Export option and then, click on Import/Export.
- Select Import from another program/file option. Then, click on the Next button.
- Next, open the converted Outlook PST from local drive by Search/Browse option. Press the Next button to proceed further.
- In the end, hit on the Finish button to exit the import/export process.
Using this method, you can convert or migrate Maildir to PST(Outlook) format.
Note: Using a manual approach can be time-consuming. Also, the method does not claim whether it can help users achieve full recovery. Manual methods always have a percent chance of data loss if not handled in a technical manner.
Automated Tool to Convert Maildir to PST:
If you are unsure about the manual approach, then you can opt for a professional tool. One such tool is Maildir Converter. It is highly recommended by experts. The utility aims at atomicity(no duplicate files), compatibility with multiple versions, allows bulk conversion, and enables previewing options.
- Export Maildir file and its sub-folders like tmp and cur to personal devices.
- It Supports Maildir emails from Linux platforms like Dovecot, MPOP, and Mutt.
- Gives previews of all attributes and attachments after scanning.
- It performs Maildir conversion in different file formats that are PST, EML, MSG, PDF, HTML, MBOX, etc.
- Includes a feature called ‘Naming Convention’ which allows users to rename files/folder accordingly.
- Helps Maintaining data security and integrity.
- It allows users to remove duplicate data (data that has some form of repetition).
- Compatible with most Windows OS versions.
We have discussed all the possible methods above that can be used to convert Maildir to PST. It is recommended that users must use a professional utility instead of using a manual approach for optimized solutions. I hope you find this blog helpful!!