Some of the Outlook users are in trouble using OST files. So, they are trying to convert OST to MSG files for better results. If you are one of them, then here you find excellent methods from which you can perform the conversion. This guide includes various sections in which the first section explains OST and MSG files in detail, then why this conversion becomes important and at last, all the methods to move OST files into MSG file formats.
OST vs MSG Files-
OST files are the Offline Storage Table that comprises a mailbox copy of the Exchange server in any local system. These Outlook OST files let the user view the mailbox with no server support. So, with the help of OST files, you can still view mailbox content including emails, contacts, calendars, etc. without server connection. Therefore, a user can do offline work and when the server connection is enabled, the update of the mailbox gets automatically done.
MSG file is only one single message that is generated from a PST file. It includes an email data consisting of a header, hyperlinks, an email body, properties of emails, etc. in the ASCII text form.
But here the question arises, why we need to migrate OST to MSG.
Why do users want to Convert OST to MSG?
Exchange OST files are exposed to corruption due to Exchange Server failure, malware outbreaks, file header corruption, weak hard drive sectors, unrequested Outlook exit, etc. There may also be a circumstance where you require to shift emails from an OST to a separate mailbox for Outlook users. Users need to convert them to MSG format in this situation since you can not export OST to different user profiles.
Now, after knowing the reasons, it is important to examine the approaches that a user can use with some technical expertise.
Manual Methods to Migrate OST to MSG-
Conversion of OST to MSG files through the following steps:
- First, start the Outlook application.
- Then choose an OST message that you want to convert into MSG format.
- Press on tab File>>Save As.
- In the end, choose a destination path and provide a file name. Tap on Save.
With the use of drag-and-drop method, a user can conveniently store emails from any Outlook edition into MSG format. Later, you can import MSG files into Outlook 2010 successfully.
Even with this manual solution, chances of losing essential mail content during the conversion process may occur. Additional specific challenges faced by so many users when conducting manual methods are as follows:
Problems faced by Users using Manual Methods:
- Each move takes a huge amount of time to implement.
- For every step the complexity of the steps increases.
- Only a skilled person can understand their workings.
- If one step is mistakenly missed then the process must be followed from the start.
So, we are offering another alternate option for keeping the original message intact.
Alternative Method: OST Converter
OST Converter tool offers various ways for users to save an OST file. The utility converts an exchange OST file into multiple formats like MSG, PST, DBX, EML, MBOX, and Archive. After converting OST to other file formats, a user can transfer the file on supported email clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail and so on. It provides no data loss during the migration process and also restores OST files which are extremely affected.
Significant Features of the Tool:
- Easy GUI: Consists of a user-friendly GUI that a user can grasp quickly. A novice user to convert OST to MSG files will run this tool easily.
- Fast Scan: The utility system features sophisticated algorithms. So, if the user accesses the mega-size OST files for conversion, the software will start checking them instantly and will take less time to migrate the large-size OST files.
- Preview Feature: Users can test the preview before processing of all mails and file structure.
- Support Encrypted OST files: Users encrypt their OST files for the security of confidential information. Though, as it occurs several times, we can’t access encrypted OST files due to the loss of passwords or detection of other errors.
First, the OST and MSG files explained in detail, and then the reasons behind the conversion. After that, methods for converting OST to MSG files are discussed. If any user has problems with manual methods, an alternative way is provided here to quickly find the required files.