When you are working with MS Outlook and suddenly the PST file reaches the maximum file size limit. It can drive you into unpleasant data loss circumstances and missing data objects. This situation could become a major concern if it is not solved. So, Split PST file in small sizes is a very common way to address such situations and to save data from any damage. Therefore, here in this guide, we are telling “how to Split PST File in Outlook 2016 and other versions” as well.
First, you need to know the main reasons behind the PST file splitting method.
Common Reasons to Split Oversized PST Files:
There are 3 common reasons to Split Oversized PST File into a Smaller File:
- If the PST file is out of space or it is left with very little storage space, users are denied saving data items to the PST file folders.
- Due to the enormous size of the PST file size, MS Outlook ‘s performance and speed start slowing down.
- A large PST file that exceeds its acceptable limits renders PST file data unavailable to users.
Now, after discussing the main reasons for this splitting PST files, you need to know how to perform it.
How to Split PST File in Outlook 2016 and its other versions manually?
MS Outlook does not provide an inbuilt method to split large-sized PST files. Hence, in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007, we find workaround methods that can be performed manually to address the problem of separating PST data.
There are 3 manual ways to split PST files:
Method 1: Use the Import / Export Method
Import / Export wizard is not only used to transfer data files to and from MS Outlook, it is also used for splitting PST files into MS Outlook. Use the following steps:
- First, start the MS Outlook, press the File from the menu bar.
- Visit the Account Settings >> Account Settings
- Press the Add button under the Data Files tab from the dialog box.
- Type name and type as Outlook data file (.pst) and tap OK to make a new PST.
- Now, you can able to see the new PST under Data Files
- Press the File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Pick Export a File in Import and Export Wizard and hit Next button.
- Under the Export File windows, pick Outlook Data File (.pst) and press Next button.
- Pick folders to export and tick the Include Subfolders option if you want to export subfolders.
- Search the saving location of the exported file from your system and select from options to uncheck exporting duplicates items. Press Finish
- Make a password for an exported PST file, or simply cancel.
Method 2: Make use of Move to Folder Option
Follows the steps below:
- Start the Outlook, hit the File tab >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Press the Data Files and hit the Add button to add a new PST file.
- Navigate the Home and open the Outlook profile default PST file and pick the items you want to move to a new PST file that you have made in Step 2.
- For this, hit the Move button from the ribbon and pick Copy to Folder.
- Choose a PST file, so you can transfer all the selected data items from the default PST file to the new one.
- You can remove the copied items from the default PST file to reduce its size.
Method 3: Make use of Archive Wizard to reduce the PST Size
To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch the MS Outlook and then open File >> Info >> Tools >> Clean Up Old Items
- Pick a folder to Archive, select a date to Archive older items, and then hit Browse to save the Archive file to the desired location.
This method reduces the PST file size and then you store previous items to the desired location successfully.
As the manual process could become too long to perform, you can also opt for another method. Use the Outlook PST Splitter utility to quickly split Outlook PST file into smaller parts. This method is risk-free, you don’t have to be technically experienced to run this utility. So, it could be the best option for you.
If you have PST files that exceed their storage limits then use the above methods to fix the issue. In this post, “how to split PST file in Outlook 2016 and its other versions” is described in detail. Many methods are given to fix it easily.