If you are looking for a solution to convert OST to PST file format then your search ends here.
This article will tell you the best ways to convert exchange OST mailboxes to PST file format. But before moving to the solutions directly, you ought to know more about OST and PST file formats and why there is a need for this conversion. So, here we go.
About OST and PST File Formats
Offline storage table (.ost) file, is an offline Outlook data file which is used by Microsoft Exchange Server. It enables users to work with mail data even when the mail server is inaccessible. OST file provides a facility for its users to enable a local copy of all the mail data to be stored on the user’s computer. In addition, these items are automatically synced when access to the mail server is restored.
Personal storage table (.pst) file, is an Outlook Data File that creates storage of user’s Outlook data for POP3, IMAP, and web-based email accounts. The files include all the items within the folder, such as emails, attachments, events, journals, contacts and many more. PST files are used by almost all the versions of MS Outlook. In earlier versions, these files were used to be stored in ANSI format while in later versions it is saved in Unicode format.
Why OST to PST Conversion
Here, I have mentioned some of the major reasons that led the users to convert OST to PST file format.
Exchange Server Crash
Sometimes it may happen that the Exchange server gets crashed unexpectedly which results in displaying errors and make email data inaccessible.
Users can easily migrate data from one machine to another by converting OST to PST. It helps when organizations migrate their data between machines.
Accidental Deletion of Exchange Server Account
If Exchange server account gets accidentally deleted or there is any data loss, it can be recovered easily by just converting OST file to PST format.
Exchange Server Maintenance
During the maintenance of Microsoft Exchange server, it is difficult to still have access to all mailbox items. Therefore, in such a case, it is good to convert your OST files into PST file format.
Manual Techniques to Convert OST to PST File
You can take the help of below mentioned manual methods in order to convert OST to PST file format.
By Using Import/Export Wizard
Note: For using this method, you must be connected to the exchange server and have Outlook installed on your PC.
- First of all, you need to open Microsoft Outlook and click on the File menu from the top left corner of Outlook.
- After that select Open and Export option from the list.
- You’ll see 4 options there. You need to click the Import/Export option.
- A dialog box will appear asking you to choose an action to perform. Then click on Export to a file option and click on Next button to continue.
- On the next window, you will be asked to select the file type to import. Select Outlook data file (.pst) and click on the Next button.
- Now select the folder to export from. Select the files to be exported and click on the Next button.
- Select the option Allow duplicates items to be created and then click on the Finish button.
- A new pop-up window will appear asking you to provide an optional password. Click on the OK button and your OST file will be automatically saved into PST format at the specified location.
By Using Archiving Method
Microsoft Outlook facilitates its users to archive data by just moving the OST mailbox folders to PST file format. It also helps in keeping the mailbox size at an optimum level by saving the older emails in the archive folder. Follow the below steps:
- Open MS Outlook application and click on the File menu at the top left corner of Outlook.
- Now you have to click Options and then navigate to Advanced.
- After that, click on the Auto Archive Settings button.
- Provide the number of days for which you want to run the Auto Archive.
- Click on the Browse button to select the desired location for saving the archive file. Click on the OK button.
- Now the process will start and all your mailbox items will be saved to the PST file automatically.
By Using Drag and Drop Mailbox Items
You can use this method of Drag and Drop mailbox items from OST to PST file format and it is one of the best ways to move data from OST file to Outlook PST.
To perform this, you need to make a blank PST file in Outlook and then drag and drop the desired items from the OST mailbox to a newly created PST file.
For this method, you will have to repeat the process for every mail item that needs to be moved to the PST mailbox. If you encounter Microsoft Outlook IMAP Error 0x800ccc0e, then you can easily fix it.
The blog is describing all the best possible solutions to convert OST to PST file. All the reasons to perform this conversion has been described as well. Now, it’s up to you to select the right method for you. Hope it helps.